.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Visit Freedom's Zone Donate To Project Valour

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The Evening Eyeball

The news seems to be awfully ominous lately. First, NASA is grounding the shuttles because a big chunk of foam broke off during launch today. They are saying that they don't believe it caused damage to the Discovery. As far as I'm concerned, I'll feel a lot better when that thing is back on the ground in one piece.

ABC is reporting that a car used by the July 7th bombers contains 16 extra bombs. Not reassuring at all, and it was a rental car. Did some people not show up at the rendezvous? BBC reports that the London police did nab Yasin Hassan Omar who is suspected of being one of the dud bombers. Also three women have been arrested.

I have been unable to secure an interview with Martha Burke over this report, but the Japanese are working on female androids. Truthfully, we women always suspected it would come to this. They never gain weight, they don't nag, and they don't talk back. The end is nigh. If you think I am being alarmist, read Tommy at Striving for Average's posts on what women want here and here. The Japanese have also been working on child androids. Word has it that they are quite obedient and don't need to get their teeth fixed.

There is a pending quarrel over whether the Democrats on the Judiciary Committee will get access to John Roberts' memos written during his stint as a government lawyer. See Tommy's analysis. He's right in my view. Also in Beldar's, who doesn't even feel the need to be polite about it, although Tommy, always the gentleman, was. Now the Democrats also want Roberts' tax returns. Frankly, I think they should demand he get publicly strip searched just so everyone knows about any identifying marks. After all, an impeachment may be necessary should he vote to overturn Roe V Wade. Word has it the NOW is already recruiting the, ah, womyn's warriors for the cause.

A sample of Beldar's hatchet:
As for the MSM mouthpieces that have been repeating Sen. Leahy's comment as if it weren't drivel, I'm pretty sure they all have lawyers available to them. Any lawyer with Westlaw or Lexis/Nexis could have found the Lindsey case in about 30 seconds (which is how long it took me). I'd say "For shame!" but they're obviously shameless, as is Sen. Leahy.

A sample of Tommy's polite reason:
Now I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night so I guess it's possible I've misread the argument but as I understand it... the issue in the Clinton case was the use of government executive branch attorneys in a personal case (it was Clinton that was being investigated not the office of the President), therefore there was no privilege since those in question were not the attorneys for Bill Clinton. The documents in question here are a result of then deputy solicitor general Roberts role with his then client the executive branch of the government. Like I said I'm not an expert or perhaps even well informed on these issues but to me it seems to be a different argument.


Comments:
I'm not behind the androids. But just in case...how much are they?

and how many differnet models?
 
You'll have to learn Japanese... contact the professor named in the article linked above.

I don't think your wife would approve.
 
the fact that she disapproves...let's just say I have grown accustomed.
 
a) he would be the first nominee NOT to turn over his tax returns to at least the white house. I am not sure how much it really matters, but there is precedent for it.

b) Yes, the White House can assert privilege to the memos. They have every right to so it. They also have ever right to waive privilege. It just comes down to who is going to be more obstinate... the white house or democrats.

c) Yes, privilege could attach to the Clinton memos also. But Clinton personally would have to waive it, not the executive branch
 
Dingo - supposedly the White House does have his tax returns. Anyway, they all get an FBI check, etc, so I assume it's just a matter of how widely the information is disseminated.

I also read (but I haven't seen confirmation of this) that they are planning to release documents from the Reagan administration but not the first Bush administration. I don't know why.

There should be such a thing as executive privilege. But, as you say, everything has its limits.

However I don't think we should ask judges (liberal or conservative) to go through a public undressing. I am afraid that would rule out some very good judges who simply did not want to endure the abuse.
 
I am not advocating for or against waiving privilege. It is soley withing the discretion of the president. It just appears that some people think that it cannot be waived.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?